Thursday, February 24, 2011

Making baby food is easy. Toddler food, not so much.

I have made baby food for both of my kids. I mostly did purees frozen in ice cube trays. The Wholesome Baby Food website has been my go-to resource for this. I have found it is pretty easy to make purees, but really struggled when my babies got old enough to not want purees but not quite old enough to always eat everything the rest of the family was eating (say we were having pork chops and a baby spinach salad for dinner--not exactly 11-month-old friendly). I often end up resorting to the expensive pre-made "todder food"--those sauce-less ravioli things are pretty neat, after all.

But I would love to have some resources for more homemade options for my son's current age. Especially because I'm pretty sure my son has problems digesting dairy. I'm not sure if it is a problem with the milk sugar (lactose) or the milk protein (casein) yet--still trying to figure that out (that matters because some dairy foods, such as cheese, do not contain lactose). Many commercial toddler meals contain dairy, so I have to check the labels, and it limits the selection for him.

I was intrigued back in December when I read Enjoy Birth's review of the book So Easy Toddler Food and thought it might be something our family could use sometime. This was before I discovered my son's dairy issues and before he decided he didn't want to be spoon-fed anymore. I forgot about the book at the time, but now I realize that I also think some of the info in the book would also be helpful for my 3-year-old, since food battles are pretty common with her. And I could use the recipes for both of my kids. I was excited to learn today that Enjoy Birth is having a giveaway of a free copy of the book. Click here to find out how you can enter the giveaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment