Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Video of an OBGYN speaking on timing of cord clamping

I wanted to share the link to the video Dr. Nicholas Fogelson posted on his blog of him speaking at a Grand Rounds on the topic of Delayed Cord Clamping. It is a 50 min talk shown in four parts, check it out if you can make the time.

Delayed Cord Clamping Grand Rounds--Academic OB/GYN

From Dr. Fogelson's conclusion:
Delayed cord clamping clearly increases fetal hemoglobin, blood volume, and iron stores. The evidence supports a clinical benefit of delayed clamping. There’s really no strong evidence against delaying the cord clamping. When we talk about interventions in medicine, really, the burden of evidence is on the intervention. And I think people say. “Delayed cord clamping, you can't prove that that’s an intervention that helps.” And I’m like, oh, no, no, no, no. Delayed cord clamping is what we evolved to do. We evolved to get the blood that’s in the placenta. I don’t have to prove that that’s right. You need to prove to me that phlebotomizing the baby of forty percent of its blood volume is right."
I personally would see it from a perspective of God's design, and not evolution, but I think his point about the burden of evidence is spot-on. I think it would make sense to look the same way at a lot of other common routine maternity care practices.

No comments:

Post a Comment