Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Three years ago today...

...I gave birth for the first time. That's right, my baby girl is three years old today. We are doing the celebration with a little party with a few friends on Saturday. I have spent a lot of time thinking and writing about her birth over the past three years--trying to understand exactly what happened and why it happened, how I felt and what caused me to feel that way. I even wrote a very extensive paper about it for my doula training course. In the end, I realize that it really was a good birth. Would I do some things differently if I were doing it all again with the knowledge I have now? Yes. But what happened is what happened and it was really not bad. I really was not adequately prepared for labor and I think that even without the pitocin, I would have needed to re-evaluate my plans for unmedicated birth when I got into active labor. I really believe that.

Pam England, author of Birthing From Within, has a blog called Birth Peeps. Her current theme for her blog is Fifty Ways to Change Birth in Our Culture. Change #2 was Tell Children A Magical Story of Their Birth, and I really love the idea.

So, here is my daughter's magical birth story:

Photobucket

I wanted to have the best chance at a great birth for you, so I switched to a group of midwives late in my pregnancy. I was supposed to try to see all the midwives at least once before you were born, but through some random chances, I ended up seeing, one midwife, Mindy, a lot more than any of the others. I think our Heavenly Father knew that you would be born when it was Mindy's turn to be at the hospital, and it was a blessing that she knew us as well as she did.

The night you were born was very dark and there was snow on the ground outside. Your dad and your Grandma were there in the room. The room had a big window with a view of the Mt. Timpanogos temple, which was all lit up. The curtains were open, and the light from the House of God guided you into the world.

When it was time for you to be born, my womb opened and you came down my birth canal and into midwife Mindy's hands. She put you on my belly. I was so happy you were here. I looked at the window, and I saw the reflection of me holding you, while the temple glowed in the distance. I pray that the Lord's Holy House will always be your guiding light.

I love you, Princess, Happy Birthday!

Photo 12/23/2010 by JC Photography

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up on Pam's blog! I know that the birth of my baby will go the way it needs to go, I've done my preparation-all I can do-and the rest is in the Lord's hands. Of course I'd love it if He gave me a lovely natural birth instead of a C-section, but really it's up to Him :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this idea of a magical birth story. A few days ago my son so a picture of me holding him just seconds after he was born. It was the first time I'd told him his birth story- very abridged-- and it was so sweet. I think children NEED to hear how they were born. It is really an important life event. I'm amazed at how much they remember about it too!

    ReplyDelete