Thursday, October 13, 2011

Preschool Co-op Lessons: Trees and Plants

On Thursday of my first week teaching preschool, our theme was trees and plants. I only had three in my class that day because one was out of town and one was sick. After doing puzzles and block and the calendar/weather/letter/color/shape routine, we sang our songs, In the Leafy Treetops (an LDS Primary Song), and Trees (to the tune of The Farmer in the Dell, which I found online). Then we read several books about threes, The Giving Tree by Shel Siverstein, Up, Down and Around by Katherine Ayres, and A Tree is A Plant by Clyde Robert Bulla. (I think only having three kids in the class probably allowed them to pay attention to reading books longer!)

Then, for a "sensory activity" we went outside, and my husband had these packets of sunflower seeds and little containers left over from something they did at his work, so each child got to fill a container with soil (which I had bought), put some seeds in it, and put more soil on top. Then we watered the seeds and the kids got to take them home. I put my daughter's in the windowsill above our kitchen sink, and five days later, the seeds sprouted!


Then, since we were already outside, we went on a short walk and looked at my neighbor's garden and talked about all of the vegetable plants she has growing there. By this time, it was already almost time for snack, but I let the kids play for a few minutes while I got it ready.

For our craft, I had prepared large pieces of paper each with a drawing of a tree (I just drew them myself) and I had some cut up some pieces of green tissue paper to be "leaves." The kids used glue sticks to glue the "leaves" on the trees. Most of the trees ended up being a bit sparse, and one child took creative license with the placement of the leaves (she put them on the trunk). I think they are very lovely trees!
















We always close each day of preschool with the same set of songs:
Ring around the rosey
Pockets full of posies
Ashes, ashes, we all fall down!

Cows are in the meadow
Eating buttercups
Thunder, lightning, we all stand up!

Teddy bear, teddy bear
Turn Around
Teddy bear, teddy bear
Touch the ground
Teddy bear, teddy bear
Give a jump a try
Teddy bear, teddy bear
Wave bye-bye

Thank you for being our friends today
Come back again and we'll sing and we'll play!

No comments:

Post a Comment